Cy Pres Awards
Nominate Health Access for a Cy Pres Award!
Class action settlements frequently have funds remaining after class members' claims have been paid. This is often due to the difficulty of locating and notifying class members, as well as to eligible class members not filing claims for payment. Cy pres (French) means "as close as possible" to the original intentions when these cannot be precisely followed.
Courts often approve "cy pres" awards of residual funds to nonprofit organizations as a way to provide an indirect benefit to absent class members. Such cy pres awards usually go to fund organizations and projects that provide services or advocacy on behalf of members of the class.
Health Access has an impressive track record protecting consumers, preserving access to care, and maximizing reform of our health system for all. Among our victories over recent years, Health Access California has:
- Led California efforts to win comprehensive health reform, including first-in-the-nation bills to implement and improve the law and go beyond it.
- Ensured access to coverage for children, including those with pre-existing conditions; and expanded access to Medi-Cal for all children, regardless of immigration status.
- Expanded affordable coverage to hundreds of thousands of California residents through county-based initiativesfrom Healthy San Francisco to My Health LA, and the Low-Income Health Programs as the platform for the nation’s largest early expansion of Medicaid under the ACA; worked to get other counties, from Sacramento to Monterey to rural California to extend their indigent care programs, and developed incentives for more counties to create a more inclusive and “smarter safety net.”
- Prevent budget cutsproposed by various Governors that would have denied more than one million people health care coverage, and caused millions more to suffer increased costs;
- Worked to expand and streamline Medi-Cal and Healthy Familiesfor children and parents and more recently for childless adults;
- Passed over two dozen managed care consumer protections, creating the Department of Managed Health Care, and allowing patients to get an independent review of any HMO denial of care or coverage;
- Secured additional protections regarding timely access and language access;
- Prevented hospitals from overcharging the uninsuredand underinsuredby passing a first-in-the-nation law so the uninsured are not price-gouged by hospitals, having to pay 3-4 times what insurers pay for the same treatment; and placing limits on what ER doctors charge the uninsured as well;
- Won passage of a prescription drug discount program, one that would use the power of the government to negotiate the best possible price for those without adequate drug coverage;
- Advanced the vision and movement for universal health careby leading and supporting campaigns and coalitions to win comprehensive health reform and coverage expansions - each effort bringing the statewide and national conversation closer to that important goal, and advancing additional proposals to cover the remaining uninsured. This includes our work for single-payer proposals, universal children's coverage, expansions of employer-based coverage, Healthy San Francisco, the Affordable Care Act, and the current #Health4All legislation to extend coverage to all regardless of immigration status.
Health Access is the recipient of past cy press awards and is highly qualified to administer cy pres funds for a wide range of activities in an efficient, cost-effective manner. For additional information, please contact Silvia Flores, Director of Operations and Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.